DOC San Severo has been recognized as such since 1968, it is produced in the production area in which the territory already delimited by D.M. March 29, 1932, published in the Official Gazette of April 8, 1932, no. 82, and fully includes the territories of the municipalities of San Severo Torremaggiore, San Paolo di Civitate and part of the territories of the municipalities of Apricena, Lucera, Poggio Imperiale and Lesina.
Approved with DPR 19.04.1968 OJ n. 138 - 01.06.1968 Modified with DM 30.11.2011 OJ n. 295 - 20.12.2011
The San Severo production regulation in article 3 states "San Severo white, rosé and red wines must be produced in the production area in which the territory already defined by Ministerial Decree of 29 March 1932 falls".
So the production area of San Severo DOC has been identified since 1932; the same Disciplinary highlights that to produce San Severo Rosso and Rosato Wine, a minimum percentage of Montepulciano grapes is required of 70% and up to 100% Montepulciano is registered in the national catalog of Grape Varieties with DM May 25, 1970 and is "Recommended" in 15 provinces, including Foggia